colette brooks donated 2017-05-25 15:13:14 -0700
This year we will reach nearly 50,000 people through theatre performances, workshops and other activities in Los Angeles, nationally, and internationally. Our 2017 season plans include:
- Over 120 performances of bold plays at the Ivy Substation (our home theater since 2005) – at least 40 will be Pay-What-You-Can – bringing together over 12,000 people of all incomes and backgrounds. The Spring 2017 schedule will launch on January 26 with Lyrics from Lockdown written and performed by Bryonn Bain and directed by Gina Belafonte – and continue with Harlequino: On to Freedom and our newest ensemble-created work: The Refugee Project (both directed by Artistic Director, Tim Robbins).
- Free Shakespeare-in-the-Park for families every Saturday and Sunday in August (at 11 AM), entertaining over 2,500 kids and adults with an hour-long Shakespeare adaptation, in Media Park (adjacent to the Ivy Substation). This past August we presented Romeo and Juliet: Pokemon Go!
- Free in-school and after-school Arts Education programs empowering over 3,000 students (in partnership with 12 public schools), inspiring creative self-expression and the development of skills such as teamwork, critical thinking, and communication.
- Expansion of the Prison Project in order to work with more inmates and institutions. As well, we are beginning to provide re-entry programming for inmates during their transition into society, allowing us to go further with the program’s goals of fostering self-esteem, tolerance, and non-violent expression while significantly reducing recidivism.
- Continued partnerships with Get Lit, Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA, Culver City Education Foundation (and their Front and Center Theatre Education initiative), Inner-City Arts, and Youth Policy Institute, among other innovative arts, community, and education organizations.
- Continuing to tour our productions including 1984, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Exonerated, and Harlequino: On to Freedom. We recently took Harlequino… to Beijing and Shanghai (China).
- Stimulating talkbacks with leading scholars and celebrity advocates for social change.
Thank you for investing in entertaining, educating, and empowering our community.Donate